Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Streaming? If not now, then when?

Welcome to Stream Starting Soon!

I can't say exactly what this SSS blog is going to be. I haven't lived it yet. But I'd like to document my experience streaming video games...and possibly other content. I am starting from a place of zero-knowledge. I want to track what I learn for both myself and for others. For others, it could be helpful. For myself, I've always found it valuable to journal and keep track of where I've been in life. I can't think of a better way to document my experience streaming. Enjoy!

I've been thinking about streaming for a long time. I enjoy watching streams. I play a fair amount of video games. Why not?

I am well aware that watching streams and playing video games does not make me a good candidate to be a streamer. I don't exactly know what it is that makes a good streamer. I could throw out some theories on what those attributes could be, personality, skill, audience engagement, etc. All probably valid, and likely a combination of various attributes. A combination of soft skills and technical skills that accelerate popular streamers to where they are today. Does this mean I shouldn't try? Do I have what it takes? Am I good enough? Should I even worry about these things?

All these questions. Answered by doing one thing: streaming. I will learn the answers from first-hand experience. That's the way I learn best.

Everyone thinks about doing something. I am the most guilty party of them all when I think about doing things...and never do them. I'm either lazy, not committed, or afraid to fail.

When it comes to streaming, I am afraid to fail.

I asked myself what the stakes are for trying to stream while I play video games. What am I at risk of losing if I venture into this unknown and slightly intimidating land?

Nothing. (Not counting time and initial set-up cost)

Don't get me wrong, time is important. Time is worth more than money. I am playing games anyway. Turning a stream on in the background while I do it is relatively simple. Interacting with an audience, managing content, managing people, managing myself, slightly more complicated. Complicated, but the goal, right? Isn't that what we all want, to have people enjoy watching us enjoy playing video games?

As long as we are enjoying it, I think it's a noble endeavor. I've watched streamers get to places where they aren't enjoying it. That's not fun for anyone.

Finally, I gave up on my fears. I have nothing to lose and so much to work for. I like having projects. I like learning new things. I like being creative. Streaming would give me something to focus on outside of my everyday work. Yes, I do work full time right now too. So...I have no clue what it's going to take (time-wise) to do this thing. To become a streamer.

I like the idea of that. Spending time working on something that I'm excited about. That's why I'm documenting this. I'm excited about what I'm going to learn and what experiences I'm going to have. I'm excited to watch and track progression(if there is any at all). That's all apart of this experience. To see what works, how it works. To see what fails, how it fails. To see how I do, how things grow and change. I want to see what I can make. I like creating, and this is a new outlet that I always feared because it is PUBLIC. It's more public than anything I've ever done before.

When you stream, you are literally in the public eye. Your body and face and voice are completely visible and vulnerable. That's a scary prospect. People will judge. People will be mean. Maybe, just maybe, the community will be great and support and love. Who knows? It's a risk. For some reason, I'm no longer afraid. I just want to do this. I want to do this now.

Before I plunged into this decision, I imagined myself ten years from now. What will I think about myself if I don't start streaming today? What will I say to myself?

If only I had started ten years ago, imagine where I'd be now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Two Recap: Already Off Course

I got tired of playing Zelda. I think Breath of the Wild might be my least favorite Zelda game. It’s too big. The open-world play isn’t so...