Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Software, hardware? Streaming is easier than it appears

Software, hardware? I don't know. I just did a fair amount of reading. What I found is that I have most of what I need to start streaming. Hooking it up and getting the software to work properly is the key.

Hardware:
-Computer (or console) I will be rolling with a computer for now
-Mouse
-Keyboard
-Controller (for the console but also for the computer if you want one)
-Two Monitors
-Microphone
-Webcam

I put two monitors on the list because it's almost necessary to be able to see the stream chat while playing a game on the other monitor.

Technically you do not need a webcam. I wanted one because I personally enjoy streams that have a person to look at while engaging and watching the games they play. So this item is not necessary. I am assuming it will be better for my stream. So I'll go with it.

Software:
-A game to play
-Some kind of OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) - I picked Streamlabs OBS
-A streaming platform (Twitch, Youtube, Facebook, Mixer) - I picked mixer (I'll probably write a little something on why I went with Mixer in my next post)

I would say these are the basic things you'd need to set up a stream. I believe, based on reading and seeing other streams that there are a ton of other software and hardware options to add. Options that will make my stream more robust. But I'll figure those things out down the line. I don't want to get too bogged down in making things "perfect". I'd likely get overwhelmed and give up if I tried that.

I didn't have a second monitor. I bought a cheap one to show my chat. I didn't have a webcam. I bought a pretty cheap one that had decent reviews for streaming. I downloaded Streamlabs OBS for free. I created a Mixer account via my Microsoft login. I hooked everything up. I added some lighting to the area where my desk is in my apartment. THAT WAS IT. That was all it took to set all the system and software up.

To be fair, there is much more to do IN the software that I haven't gotten to. That'll be a future post too. Making it all work.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Two Recap: Already Off Course

I got tired of playing Zelda. I think Breath of the Wild might be my least favorite Zelda game. It’s too big. The open-world play isn’t so...